Bribir,
A settlement in the Šibenik and Knin County, 12 km north west of Skradin. According to the 2001 census, it had a population of 79.

History
The oldest traces of life were discovered in a field not far from the Bribirčica stream, the lower course of the Krka River, where the remains of an Old Stone Age settlement were found. The most important archaeological monuments (ran-ging from prehistory through antiquity and the medieval period) are to be found on Glavica, above the village, which was settled at the latest at the beginning of the 1st millennium BC. Until the coming of the Romans, the settlement had the form of a Liburnian, i.e., Celtic, hill fort, and as early as the 1st century AD was surrounded with powerful masonry ramparts, and obtained the status of municipium, called Municipium Varvariae. After achieving prosperity in the first few centuries of the Christian era, at the time of the great migrations, Varvaria knew difficult times, like other settlements in the area of the far-flung Roman Empire. After the Avar-Slavic incursions, the ruins of the ancient city were settled by the Croats, who turned the name Varvaria into Bribir, founding a medieval castle there. Some investigators identify today’s Bribir with the ancient settlement of Arauzona, but we can find the first written testimony about the place in the writings of Constantine Porphyrogenitus in the 10th century, listing Brebara among the Croatian counties, while the name Brebir was also recorded. There, the remains of numerous buildings have been discovered and preserved. Of particular interest are the imposing Roman city walls built of great stone blocks, residential buildings equipped with water cisterns, and systems of public cisterns for the city’s water supply. The finding of a Roman mausoleum with sarcophagi tells of the high level of artistic creativity. From the Early Croat period comes a hexafoil church, above which a cemetery was later developed. Bribir flourished in particular when the Šubić family had its seat there; they were the most powerful Croatian family at the turn of the 13th and 14th centuries. Medieval documents mention certain public buildings such as a curia and a hospitalium, as well as churches (St Mary’s, here the largest building, a Franciscan basilica with three naves and fragments of church furniture of Romanesque and Gothic forms; St Saviour’s and St John’s). The richness of these churches is told of by the will of Pavel II Šubić, who took the coastal province (consisting of Croatia and Dalmatia) from King Andrew III, 1293, as a heritable fief for his family, and in 1346 gave St Mary’s a great gilt cross, a gilt reliquary, a gilt censer, a pearled amice and richly decorated vestments and books. The castle was demolished and occupied by the Turks, and when they went, there was no longer any permanent population on the Glavica plateau, rather at the foot of it.

References:

Klaić, Vjekoslav: “Povijest Hrvata“, vol. 1, p. 318

Enciklopedija likovnih umjetnosti, vol. 1, p. 499